Reality VS. Expectation: Setting goals and what is takes to achieve them.
Some key notes on goal setting with Coach Rash:
Being successful in health and fitness, in improving body composition and aesthetics, and progression in performance are all easily achieved with hard work and dedication. That’s right, the key to success is as simple as that. Yet why do we struggle so hard to get where we want to be?
How many times do we catch ourselves admitting “I want to look good, get leaner, be stronger and be fitter” or something along those line? Easily many. Yet do we really know what it actually takes to get where we want to be? Most of us believe we are already doing what we need to get there. But what happens when you get to that point, where it’s a month down the road, and you’re still in the same place or worse, you have gone backwards? What happened? There may have been a many number of factors that just ‘suddenly came up’ and seemed to have gotten in the way between you and your goal/s. What we then are faced with is, well, what happens next?
If we had identified right at the start what we really wanted and what we were actually willing to do to make our goals a success, well then maybe, just maybe, we wouldn’t be in this conundrum to start with.
The biggest setback for being unsuccessful with achieving a goal is NOT having a plan and NOT understanding what it takes to achieve what you want. There are so many factors that affect the outcome. Remember the time you spend at the gym is on average 1 hour out of a 24 hour day. That’s the easiest part to control. What about the life out there, life away from the gym, where there are still 23 hours that impact the goal you set out to achieve. Now look back and address whether the goal you set out to achieve was really what you were striving for during the majority of your day/week/month or year. If it was only the minor focus, why did you make it out to be a major one?
We get set back by the illusion of the life of others. We see something another person has and we want it also. We see the Instagram model, the fit mum or fit dad, the ripped gym buff or the slim and toned fitness chick. We forget to look at what we want and what WE are willing to put in, to get out the desired result. You can have anything you want as long as you’re willing to put in the work. The reality is; the Instagram model, the fit mum or fit dad or the ripped gym buff generally only show you the bright side to their success. No one sees the long hours, failures, hard work, sacrifices, the tears, dedication and most importantly their persistence and consistency. There is no fast track or bypass to achieving any results, whether it is performance, aesthetics, family, financial or life goals etc. Understand that to get what you want – you need to put in the work. So how do we learn what is involved in the goals we want? How do we set ourselves up for what we are looking to achieve? Most importantly how do we stay on track?
The reality is if we know what to do and how to do it, we can then choose whether or not we WILL go out and do it. Sometimes you need to see the plan to know the path of the journey. This helps us make a conscious choice in determining if we want to be successful. Reality is we all can have success but do YOU want to do what it takes. It’s your choice.
It is absolutely possible to achieve anything you want. These are my top 10 tips to helping you create your own success:
- Address the goal. What is it exactly that you want to achieve?
- Work out what is needed to achieve the goal including: time, money, support from family/work, sacrifices etc.
- Address if you are willing to make the sacrifices needed to achieve this goal successfully.
- Put a plan of action together including the who, what and when it is needed.
- Take time to then re-visit the goal now in all its light. Reaffirm you WANT this and that you are ready to do what it takes to get it!
- Sort out a team of people/ family/ community etc (*cough cough YOUR COACH/ES) that will help keep you accountable and tell them about it.
- Initiate your plan of action with guided assistance from your team to help get you on track and to help keep you there.
- Get to work and keep at it! Consistency is the key. Give it time and be patient. Trust the process.
- Give yourself time to reflect on each stage of your goal. Re-address any new situations/ realisations/ obstacles etc. that arise sooner than later and give attention to them. Address the barriers/struggles you face with your coaches too – they are more than just a pretty face and have more than likely helped a many number of people overcome similar experiences or situations.
- Remember: Conceive, believe, achieve.